Thursday, May 15, 2014

Assemblage

INSPIRATION








David Cata - Portraits sewn into hands
http://www.designboom.com/art/david-cata-sews-portraits-of-his-family-into-the-palm-of-his-hand-01-10-2014/
Altar piece

COMPLETED

Photo

View through telescope


STATEMENT

This piece was inspired by a pair of binoculars I took apart. A lens was removed from one of the tubes, so that it flipped the image seen. I immediately knew I would somehow connect this to my recently deceased gramma Bercie. An old cutting board that belonged to my still living gramma was given to me and broke and was used as the base. Also found was a light switch and an old alarm clock that was taken apart. Later in the week I was looking through old family photos and found the one used in this piece. In the photo my sisters and I sit beneath my gramma. The flash from the camera reflects in the painting above her head creating a halo of sorts. The photo was placed so that when someone looks through the lens they see an upside-down image of what can be interpreted as her spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment